Monday 12 January 2009

Compatibility Issues

I have encountered many compatibility prolems with codecs in this project. From the Final Cut footage not playing on my PC even though I have Quicktime pro, I managed to get around this by exporting the Final Cut footage in a Mpeg 4 codec. However I don't think anything could have prepared me for what happened earlier. Just when I thought we would be ready to hand in, I discovered all my maya scenes were not compatible with Mac's, the best I could do was export with a watermark right through it. Most other mac's wouldn't even view the AVI file at all. I also came across a problem with the footage I had rendered form Maya. The 3D scenes were rendered to AVI, I have since found out that AVI is like a cover for the hidden codec which was created on windows therefore it is in a WMV format. To overcome this I tried exporting the 3D scenes first at uni however Mayas liesence wasn't installed so this was a no go. I had no other shoice but to render it out agen on my incredibly slow PC. Mike suggested exporting the scenes as single Tiff images, however I couldn't find a way of putting these images together as this would take forever to do frame by frame in After Effects. So I decided to overcome this problem by using After Effects to render all the 3D scenes out converting the AVI scenes in to one MOV file, this had the hidden codec of H.264 in HD1080p. I expected this to have completely sorted out the codec problem however in reality it meant that I had to composit the the zoom scene of the animation once again.

No comments: