Saturday 10 January 2009

Compositing film and 3D animation in After Effects

First of all I started by keying out the green screen. After I had erased all of the green I masked out any bits that didn't key out well. Now I am left with just the NXT visible with no background. I did this for both pieces of footage and the tried to blend them accordingly using colour correction effects such as colour balance and hue and saturate. This was quite difficult as the lighting wasn't exactly the same so it was hard to blend. It soon became apparent that it was never going to look quite right. I decided to overcome this by adding and a block dissolve to the footage to give the effect that the NXT is like a holographic image that isn't materializing properly. When I put the 3D backround benind NXT footage it seemed to all fall into place. The only difficult and by far the most time consuming part was editing the photo of the NXT to move with the animation, it was a case of scaling and postioning frame by frame. After this it was just a case of scale the film to fit with the animation, this went smoothly as it was as simple as I had first imagined.

No comments: